The Wood Engravers’ Network Annual 2017 conference/workshop will be held at Stockton University in Galloway, NJ. from June 26 to July 1, 2017, hosted by Michael McGarvey with organizational assistance from Rebecca Gilbert and Michelle Post.
Stockton University main campus is located in Galloway, New Jersey https://stockton.edu/. It is a beautiful campus built in the early 70’s located in the Southern Edge of the Pinelands National Reserve; The workshop is sponsored but the School of Arts and Humanities and the home base will be in the Art Gallery on first and second floor of the L-wing adjacent to the Performing Arts Center, 101 Vera King Farris Drive, Galloway, NJ 08208.
Stockton University is roughly 18 miles west of Atlantic City, forty five miles east Philadelphia and ninety miles from Manhattan.
We are very happy to have as our guest Artist, Gaylord Schanilec: “An artist, writer, letterpress printer, designer and illustrator, Gaylord Schanilec has set the standard for contemporary artist’s books over the last 30 years.” (Groveland Gallery, Minneapolis) Read about the artist’s current project My Mighty Journey of a 12,000 year journey up the Mississippi River on Paul Nylander’s blog for the Gaylord Schanilec and John Coy book project.
LODGING AND TRAVEL
There will be affordable on-campus apartments available for $32 per night (plus one-time linen fee of $14). Two or four bedroom apartments with shared bathroom are available as options on registration form.
Also there is lodging at Seaview Resort (owned by Stockton U but run privately). It is a very old golf resort about 6 miles from campus. I will post Seaview prices for WEN participants shortly.
here are many other lodging options including camping, The Atlantic Blueberry RV Park $40-50. There are also very many motels nearby, and at the shore communities such as Atlantic City, Ventnor, Margate, Brigantine.
The closest Airport is Atlantic City International Airport about ten miles from Stockton, with Spirit flights from a number of major cities many in Fla. also Atlanta, Boston, Chicago and Detroit. Also, there is a free shuttle from airport to Stockton
Philadelphia Airport is also convenient and offers more options. There are trains from the Airport to Center City Philadelphia, and trains from Philadelphia to stops near Stockton.
There are numerous options for dining on campus and around the college. Lunch meal plans are available as an option on registration form.
CONFERENCE SCHEDULE (rough – subject to change)
- Sunday 6/25: Meet and greet barbecue at Host Michael McGarvey’s home five minutes from Stockton. We can shuttle folks from Stockton or Seaview.
- Monday 6/26: Introductions and engraving at home base in the Art Gallery.
- Tuesday 6/27: Trip to New York City tentative visit sites to Morgan Museum or Grolier Club and Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Wednesday 6/28 : Engraving at home base, WEN business meeting 3:30pm
- Thursday 6/29: Trip to Philadelphia Sites tentatively may include Philadelphia Museum of Art, or The Barnes Foundation, and Fleisher Art Memorial where the next WEN Exhibition may be exhibited.
- Friday 6/30: Engraving, proofing etc in morning. In Afternoon or evening Guest Lecture by Gaylord Schanilec sponsored by the School of Arts and Humanities and also Participant Show and Tell. This will be held at the University Auditorium or Art Gallery, or possibly in the Atlantic City Arts Garage.
- Saturday 7/1: Linocut reduction class with Michelle Post ($50/person – details to follow). Finishing up in morning, and departure.
There will be a proofing press in the Art Gallery home base, Instruction and feedback for those just beginning from our visiting artist, and other knowledgeable participants. End grain blocks will be available for sale to those who need them. Editions can be run on Vandercook or Iron Handpress in Michael McGarvey’s studio – only five miles from Campus.
The cost of the workshop will be $250
Student rate $180
Register before May 15 to get this special price.
After May 15, registration is $300 ($220 for students)